- 1/2 cup (110 grams) virgin coconut oil
- 3/4 cup (95 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup (230 grams) full fat Greek-style yogurt, at room temperature is best
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature is best
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) sweetened shredded coconut, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Either grease 10 muffin cups with butter or coconut oil, or line them with papers.
- In a small saucepan, warm your coconut oil just until it melts. It should still be on the cool side.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together your flours, baking powder and salt. Stir 1/2 cup shredded coconut. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, coconut oil, yogurt and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients until just combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups then sprinkle the top with remaining 1/4 cup coconut, about 1 to 2 teaspoons on each.
- Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out batter-free, about 20 minutes. Transfer muffins to a rack and let cool.
- Do ahead: Usually, muffins are best on day one but I just had one of these on day three and found them almost as moist and tender as day one. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.